Friday, January 30, 2015

Memorizing the Preamble to the United States Constitution



The Preamble

Maybe I didn't help this student succeed in grammar, but I did give him the opportunity to memorize the Preamble to the United States Constitution!

Back when I taught 3rd grade a few years ago, a teacher teammate suggested that we have our entire 3rd grade class to memorize the Preamble to the United States Constitution.  I thought she was crazy! 

Our entire 3rd grade class did, which at that time was about 65 pupils. 

Later when I moved back to 5th grade, knowing that my 3rd graders had accomplished this feat, I have them memorize the Preamble as well.  
Prior to jumping into the task of memorizing the Preamble with my 5th graders, I had them complete a self guided close reading using the Icons of Depth and Complexity Frame of the Preamble (available for free at my TPT)

FREE!

Directions on how to implement this lesson are available here on my blog.

Afterwards, what is the best tool for accomplishing this task?  
Listening and singing along to "We the People" from SchoolHouse Rock.



I created some fill in practice sheets and practice cards to help students as well!
My Preamble Bundle can be purchased at my TPT store. Click Below!

IMS Bove

No comments:

Post a Comment