Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Greek Vases Art Project

This is an easy and inexpensive art project for your students to create while studying Ancient Greece and Rome, and it looks great on the wall.  I have been doing this for years. I just recently suped up the process to create a product the kids are really proud of to display.

1. Using tan 12x18inch construction paper, I have students trace and cut a vase from some templates I had prepared on tag board (too big to share).
2. I have the students select a picture from this book. There are many other choices out there, but I really like this one. Each student will need a personal copy of their selection.

3. Then have the students trace around the image with a regular, old school pencil (not mechanical), the darker, the better.
4. Afterwards, flip over the picture and center it on the vase. Rub the back of the black line master with a pencil. You may want to use tape to keep the picture in place.
5. Magically, the pencil lead will transfer onto the construction paper, providing a guideline for the students to trace with a black marker or Sharpie.



6. Afterwards, I have the students complete the same process with greek designs and borders around the neck and base of the vase. I found some on the web, just do a search of "Ancient Greek Borders."
7. Then have the students trace the designs with a thin black Sharpie. After they have finalized their design, they need to fill in the vase with a thick Sharpie.

8. Laminate for a final touch to replicate glazing!




No comments:

Post a Comment